WHAT IS HOOP DANCE?
- Hooping AKA Hoop Dance is a form of dance using a String Cheese Incident passed out plastic hoops made of irrigation tubing at a concert about 14 years ago. Hooping is done with a different form of tubing than the cheap variety found in most toy stores. This tubing is resistant to kinking and is much sturdier making hooping something anyone can do.. It's not just the 1950's style of "hula hooping" anymore. It's evolved into a high-energy dance form that started when the
- Hooping is also an excellent low impact cardio workout that burns approximately 300-600 calories per hour. It also increases coordination and is an excellent workout for building core strength.
- Hooping helps participants to feel more self confident & develop a better body image.
- Hooping utilizes both on-body and off-body movements that when combined together creates what we call "flow". However, flow is much more than that. Flow, as taught by Hungarian Psychologist, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, is a state of mind that is achieved when one is so immersed in an activity that they lose track of time. The result is a feeling of optimal fulfillment or bliss that makes this mind/body movement more than the ordinary gym workout. It's easier to stick with something when it provides you with more than just calorie burn.
- Hooping brings back an element of play & laughter. A hoop class will feel like you've arrived for a party not a workout. Like I tell my students, "you can't take yourself seriously in a hoop". Hooping is fun & it brings people together. Throw down a few hoops at your next picnic or family gathering and let the games begin!
ARTICLES ON HOOPING: